WHAT’S HAPPENING IN MUSIC THIS TERM?

Prep

In Term 2, Preps will continue to build on their knowledge of the foundations of music including beat, pitch, dynamics and tempo. They will explore melody by singing and moving to various nursery rhymes and songs. They will also begin to learn to sing the national anthem. Preps will explore rhythm by creating simple beats and actions within a song. Students will practice identifying emotions such as happy and sad when listening to a range of different music styles. They will build on their ability to name and recognise the sound of common instruments used in the classroom.

Grade 1 and 2

During Term 2, students in Grades 1 and 2 will investigate the difference between beat and rhythm. They will be introduced to simple rhythmic notation and repeated patterns called ostinatos. Students will use these simple rhythms and collaborate in groups to create their own compositions to perform to the class on their self-selected percussion instruments. They will also explore pitch, melody and dynamics by singing melodic patterns and learning specific techniques using mallets to play tuned percussion instruments through class songs.

Grade 3 and 4

Yo, yo, yo…check 1, 2…Grades 3 and 4 are in the house gearing up for some hip-hop beatbox styling! Term 2 continues on from our body percussion and rhythmic unit focus by adding pitch and timbre elements through simple beatboxing techniques. Students will arrange speech syllables to create their own simple compositions to perform to the class. They will also learn basic ukulele techniques such as playing chords, strumming patterns and simple improvisation. Students will play various songs by reading chord charts and will work towards performing a class song.

Grade 5 and 6

In Term 2, students in Grades 5 and 6 will be tuning their guitars and turning up their amps as they get ready to rock! I’m very excited to be introducing the Musical Futures ‘Just Play’ approach to learning where students take a practical and hands on approach to their music making. They will develop skills on various band instruments such as guitar, bass, ukulele, keyboard and drum kit and experience performing in large ensembles. Students will read and follow basic chord charts and have the opportunity to play simple improvised solos along to musical accompaniment. They will learn about the instruments in a band and the roles they perform. They will practice giving constructive feedback to each other using appropriate musical terminology.

8 comments

1. Thanks for the update Ms S – I have kids that cover all but one of the age groups above and they are absolutely loving your sessions. Thank you for all that you do.

2. Yo, yo, yo indeed!!! I’ve got a grade 4er who was a bit sick this morning but refused to stay home because “I’ve got music today and we’re going to get to see Ms S rock out”. Turning down a rest day at home so they don’t miss your class??? 100% kudos.

1. Ha, that’s fantastic Tania! Music is such a powerful medium. So glad I get to share such an important part of your child’s learning with them. Thanks for the feedback!

3. Thanks for the update. My kids are both loving music class, my grade 3 is slightly driving us crazy with his beatboxing around the house!!! So good that they are very engaged…. thank you!!

1. Thanks for the feedback Alice. I’m hearing lots of beatboxing around the school too so they are all definitely engaging with their learning! Poor classroom teachers! 🙂