Robot Reliefs

It’s been all about robots this term for Grade 1 and 2! We started off with some robot sketches, moved on to an enlarged robot painting and finished with a mixed-media robot relief artwork. Students learnt about what relief means, in terms of a fusion between 2D and 3D. Students had the opportunity to use a variety of different materials, such as tiles, buttons and eclectic pieces of metal and wood. The results are some fantastic robots, which are bursting with their inventor’s creativity! What I loved most about this project was seeing the girls really embrace the robot theme. At first lots of the girls were like “Ohhh robots. I don’t like robots!” which got me thinking, “Do they actually not like robots? Or do they think girls can’t like robots?” However, over the term the girls have slowly embraced the robots and have absolutely loved designing and creating their circuitboard friends! I doubt I’ll ever hear a girl from Grade 1 or 2 tell me they don’t like robots anymore! To see this display, please visit the ground floor hallway, in the main building.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.